Saturday, July 16, 2016

All decked out

We spent the long 4th of July weekend staining our deck. Finally. It seemed like it wasn't going to stain itself, so I announced that it had to happen. Now.

Our deck has two levels--one a couple of steps lower than the main deck. Lloyd had already power-washed the upper deck, so I started staining that while he power-washed the lower one. Of course Dieter had to stay inside while the power washing and staining was going on, and that's just not fair.

New deck. Swanky!
He stands by the back door, puts on the sad puppy dog eyes, and whines and carries on. It's enough to break your heart. But power washing (and staining, too) don't mix.

So I steeled myself to the piteous wailing coming from inside. "Oh, the humanity. Why am I inside while you're out there having a good time. I could use my tail to apply stain, you know. Ah-wooooooooo..."

Old deck. Shabby chic?
Yeah, I didn't cave in to his entreaties. Good thing, because as it was, it looked like I'd hired Stevie Wonder to do my staining. Or that I'd done it while blindfolded. Dieter assistance would not have helped any. The deck has been sans stain or paint for many years now and it just sucked in the stain. My mom had a saying, when she'd see someone painting something that hadn't been touched by paint for eons: "They'd better tie a string around that paint brush or else that wood will suck it right in."

The deck is done and it's an improvement. Dieter? He's just glad he can once again go out when he wants.


No comments:

Post a Comment